|St Paul's Cathedral and the Millennium Bridge|
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
- WHERE: St Paul's to the Thames
- WHEN: Sunday 26th April 2015
- START: 11:00am at the top of the steps (right hand side) of the Main Entrance to St Paul's Cathedral.
- LUNCH: 1:30pm on the Roof Terrace of One New Change (if dry; wet weather venue to be notified)
- END: 3:30pm Paternoster Square - between St Paul's Cathedral Steps and St Paul's Tube Station (if dry; wet weather venue to be notified)
- MAP: A map has been created in Google Maps/Drive of the area and key places
- TUBE: Stations: St Paul's (Central Line); Blackfriars and Mansion House (District and Circle Lines)
- RAIL: Thameslink @ London Blackfriars and City Thameslink; Cannon Street
|London Urban Sketchers on the steps of St Paul's Cathedral|
at the end of Pete Scully's Wren's Churches Sketchcrawl August 2014
On Sunday 26th April 2015, London Urban Sketchers are going to be sketching the part of the City of London around St Paul's Cathedral - down to the north bank of the Thames.
|The view of where we're sketching from Tate Modern 7th floor|
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
|Birds Eye View of the area around St Paul's Cathedral|
right click and open in a new tab to see much larger version
- North: Paternoster Square, the London Stock Exchange and Christchurch Greyfriars Garden
- West: Ludgate Hill and the narrow allies between Ludgate Hill and Queen Victoria Street
- East: One New Change - this is a brand new shopping centre which is open on Sunday from 12:00. On the Roof Terrace (accessible via the lifts) there are great views right across London plus a really up close view of the top of St Paul's Cathedral
- South: The north bank of the River Thames and the Millennium Bridge - accessed via Peter's Hill - south of St Paul's - which has lots of views off either side of churches and alley ways.
|Map of the area around St Paul's Cathedral|
What you can sketch
There's masses to choose from whatever type of sketching you like doing. Here are some suggestions
St Paul's Cathedral and Churchyard - lots of architecture from lots of different perspectives around and about (Note that the Cathedral is open for worship only on Sunday and you won't be able to draw inside). You can find great views of it from:
- Fleet Street and the bottom of Ludgate Hill looking up to the Cathedral
|"Ludgate Hill - A block in the Street" by Gustave Doré- from London, A Pilgrimage, 1872|
The view caught by Doré of the view up Ludgate Hill to St Paul's Cathdral.
It's a bit different now - but you could try sketching it!
- From Peter's Hill looking up from the Thames and the Millenium Bridge
- From the Churchyard - just looking up
- From the Roof Terrace of One New Change - where you can get a whole new perspective on the Dome.
|I created "The Leaning Dome of St Paul's" the last time I sketched it|
from the Roof Terrace!
Take a walk down Peter's Hill to the Millennium Bridge
|the view down Peter's Hill to the Millennium Bridge and Tate Modern|
|The view east from the Millennium Bridge|
- of the tidal beach, the Shard and bridge along the Thames
|The view of Tate Modern and the Millennium Bridge from the north bank of the River Thames|
below City of London School
PLUS (excitement!!) we're also going to be able to sketch Shaun the Sheep ;) who is taking up residence in various guises in the City of London between now and the end of May. You'll be able to see
- one called 'Out of this World' Shaun at the City Information Centre, (- just to the south of St Paul's Churchyard) designed by Josh and Aimee Williams
- two more - 'Fine & Gandy' by David Gandy and 'Wolly Wiggle' by Zandra Rhodes - at One New Change
If people are up for it we may just try a "Draw the Dome in 15 minutes Challenge" over lunch at the Roof Terrace! You can of course just watch!
After the Sketchcrawl
You can add sketches to the
- London Urban Sketchers Facebook Group - please add them to the St Pauls Sketchcrawl Album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.353603474837411&type=1
- London Urban Sketchers Flickr Group Pool https://www.flickr.com/groups/usklondon-grouppool/